Sunday, January 30, 2011

What does this mean?

I am pretty sure that my doctor said there wasn't anything that she found wrong with me or the baby but I can't really remember. I requested some of the medical records from the hospital the other day so I could see what was found. I have to pay 65 cents a page so the lady in the medical records place just sent what was relevent to Brinley. So I got the records in the mail the other day and I have no idea what it means...

One page had handwriting on it that I can't read because it didn't copy very good so I am going to call them on Monday to see if they can try to recopy it. I don't want to pay 65 cents for a page I can't even read.

The other pages describe what was found about the placenta and umbilical cord. It says things like pyknotic nuclei, neutrophilic infiltrate, and endothelial hyperplasia. I'll let you know what these mean as soon as I figure it out.

One sentence said: "Umbilical cord shows three blood vessels and pyknotic nuclei": Nuclei that have contracted contents — a feature that is visible with deep staining and is a sign of cell death.

Some more terms:
Neutrophil infiltration: The diffusion or accumulation of neutrophils in tissues or cells in response to a wide variety of substances released at the sites of inflammatory reactions.

Endometrial hyperplasia: A condition characterized by overgrowth of the lining of the uterus. Hyperplasia means overgrowth. The endometrium is the inner layer of the uterus.



Intimal Fibrosis: scar tissue

Necrosis: loss of blood.


So from all of this I still don't have a clear picture of what happened. I guess all they found were some blood clots or something. It sucks not really knowing what happened because you can't be sure it won't happen again. At least I have some more information to add to Brinley's things to help memorialize her.


Still confused.....   Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I know people who have made appointments with their doctors to go over line by line of the medical records to describe exactly what they mean. I know after I received Matthew's autopsy it took weeks of searching for hours every day to try and figure out what it all meant. If you have a good doctor, it might be worth it to see if they would help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Denise- I think going over this with a doctor who will clearly explain each finding might be of significant benefit. Did they make mention in depth of the blood clots.. I just found out a few weeks ago that it turns out I have a rare autoimmune disease called APS- so it perks my ears up every time I hear 'blood clot' mentioned...

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers